Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Community Helpers Unit

During the whole month of September, my toddler class worked on their community helper unit. We broke it up into four weeks. 

Week 1: grocers/chefs/bakers
Week 2: firemen and police officers 
Week 3: doctors, nurses, and dentists 
Week 4: construction workers, postal office personnel, and teachers 

I love community helpers month because for me, it is an awesome way to get my classroom parents involved. 

At back to school night, I sent out a flyer explaining that this unit was coming up and if we had any 'community helper' parents that we'd greatly appreciate them coming to talk as a guest speaker or to do an activity. Y'all are going to want to sit down for this next part... ALL of my parents..ALL signed up AND ALL of them actually fulfilled their commitment. -I don't know about you but, I almost never get all of my parents to get involved and it is always a hassle involved with multiple reminders and flyers. Not this time! I was floored! 

Anyways, we had parents from all work types come in a speak, read a story, or help with an art project and it was awesome! 

Here are a few examples of projects that we did over the course of September: 



What do you do for your community helpers unit? 



1 comment: